BioTherm Fluids® Automotive & Industrial (AI)
TYPICAL PROPERTIESOrange Liquid
pH: 8 - 10.9
Specific Gravity: 1.15
Freeze Pt: -31 °F (-35 °C)
Viscosity: 11 (@ 20C cSt)
Conductivity 1.24 mS
BioTherm Fluids® AI has been tested to ASTM D7714 (Glycerin Base Engine Coolant for Automobile and Light-Duty Service) and ASTM D7715 (Standard Specification for Fully-Formulated Glycerin Base Coolant for Heavy-Duty Engines). For industrial heat transfer purposes, BioTherm AI has been tested to ASTM D1384 (which is actually part of the above ASTM D7715 / D7714 testing). For a more complete test listing, please view the data sheet or click the green bar below.
The non-nitrated organic corrosion package, provides outstanding protection against pitting and corrosion of steel, copper, brass, solder, cast aluminum, and cast iron. BioTherm AI lubricates pumps and valves, provides excellent scaling resistance, is compatible with typical gaskets, seals, elastomers and other non-metallic pump and engine parts (not recommended for use with CPVC), offers a freeze point of -31°, and burst protection to -50° F.
BioTherm Fluids® AI is a leader in quality, safety and environmental concerns. BioTherm AI is a certified USDA Biobased Product in the USDA BioPreferred® Programand is NSF listed (HT2). BioTherm AI is readily biodegradable, non-toxic and non-hazardous. Additionally, glycerin is considered “GRAS”, (Generally
Recognized As Safe) by the FDA (Federal Food and Drug Administration).
OUTSTANDING BENEFITS AND FEATURES:
- USDA Certified Biobased
- NSF Listed HT2
- No Nitrites
- No Amines
- No Phosphates
- No Silicones
- No Molybdates
- Lower BOD/COD
- Low Freeze Point
Originally designed for industrial and environmentally sensitive coolant / anti-freeze, heat transfer and secondary refrigerant applications, BioTherm Fluids® AI can be used in many gasoline, diesel and natural gas engines and other non-engine related applications such as:
• Closed Loop Systems
• Geothermal Systems
• Hydrostatic/Pressure Testing
BioTherm Fluids® AI is a glycerin based product, DO NOT use testers designed for glycols. Freeze point range can quickly be determined by a special tester (pictured left) available from Orison or more accurately by a refractometer (Brix pictured right) - Brix Value Chart below.
WHAT ABOUT MIXING FLUIDS
Although no negative effects are expected, mixing antifreeze/coolants is not recommended due to varying freeze point depressants and corrosion inhibitor technologies which leads to difficulties determining actual freeze point protection and corrosion inhibition properties. Use only BioTherm Fluids® AI in the system.
The chart below is supplied as a guide for diagnostic / maintenance purposes. The values are calculated values and are only approximations. BioTherm Fluids® AI is ready-to-use and not to be diluted (for automotive applications) as the result would weaken the corrosion inhibitor package. Note: Diluting this product more than 14% with water may be subject to bacterial contamination.
MAINTENANCE DIRECTIONS - Engine Related
1. Use straight, DO NOT DILUTE.
2. Drain cooling system completely* and flush to remove scale & rust build-up. Use only BioTherm Fluids® AI in the system and fill only after system has been completely drained and flushed. Do not mix with other coolants / anti-freeze / heat transfer fluids or chemicals.
3. Use ONLY CHEMICAL FREE FILTERS.
4. Check fluid level on regular maintenance schedule. Top off with only undiluted BioTherm AI if system is low.
5. Test fluid for freeze point levels every 50,000 miles, 1500 hours or every 6 months, whichever comes first. Recommended drain and recharge with new BioTherm AI if Brix value is less than 37.0 as this indicates the product has been diluted more than 20%.
6. BioTherm Fluids® AI lab analysis is available through Orison. Suggested to add a NAP free Extenderevery 100,000 miles or 2500 hours, whichever comes first.
*NOTE-even after draining/ flushing cooling system, residual water may remain in the block and could dilute the product. We recommend to verify with tester after filling to determine AI has not been diluted too much. If necessary, drain and refill.